Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Week 7: "It Gets Better or Worse Depending on Your Attitude"



March 2, 1988

We just had a slow week.  My comp was feeling sick and it rained a lot.  It's too dangerous to ride our bikes when it rains, that's what my comp tells me.  We got out on Saturday morning to deliver thank you notes and do some follow up on some contacts.  We dropped off a pamphlet to a lady who had inquired about our family home evening program.

On Sunday, we had a DA at the Branson's.  They made us earn our food by telling them our most spiritual experiences on our mission.  They excluded MTC experiences so, having been out here just a few weeks, I had few experiences to choose from.  The best I could come up with was how strong the spirit was the other day as I was reading Helaman chapter 5 -- I don't think they were impressed.

At church, the bishop's son had his homecoming -- he just got back from the New York, New York City Mission.  In Gospel Essentials class I taught the lesson because the regular teacher was out of town.  I literally tore apart Ephesians chapter 6 about the armor of God.  The ward mission leader said I did a good job.

On Monday, my comp was sick.  On Tuesday, my comp was sick.  He's had a cold for about a month and a half now.  On Tuesday morning we gave him a blessing -- hm, that's the second comp in row who has needed a blessing.  Maybe its the curse of being my companion -- ha, ha.

This morning, Elder Fox and I went over the bridge and down Newell to the library, while my comp and Elder Lima went to get haircuts.  At the library I, of course, went looking for the World War II history books -- and I found a gold mine of books!  Seriously, this library puts the Bountiful library to shame.  We ended up spending three hours at the library, and I had a blast looking at some books I have been searching for for years.  I'll probably never find those books in Utah.

I just wrote a letter to a friend who should have gotten his call by now.  Basically, I told him that a mission is challenge after challenge and trial after trial.  By overcoming these challenges and trials, and using them as stepping stones, we grow and return two years later as men.

I wrote my friend about something my present companion told me about -- a friend of his who left the MTC after only one week.  Another friend, who had come home from his mission after just one year, told this guy that if he didn't like his first week to go home because it doesn't get any better.  My reaction was to recall something Geoff said many times in missionary prep: "It gets better or worse depending on your attitude."

Trials will come, that is what a mission is.  I wrote my friend: "If you went home early, think of all the people you would let down: your parents, your brothers who have served successful missions, your friends, your friends who are presently serving or are preparing to serve, your ancestors, Jesus Christ, your Father in heaven, and many others."

More than a few times, when it has been tough out here, I have had thoughts about going home early, but then I said: "How could I ever look dad and Geoff in the eye."  There is no way.  Then I read Alma chapter 38.  Alma the younger was counseling his son Shiblon.  In verses 3-5 we read that Shiblon was bound and even stoned while he was serving his mission to the Zoramites.  Shiblon overcame his trials, bearing them with patience, and was greatly blessed as a result.

I told my friend about the trials I had with my MTC comp.  "But I learned from that," I wrote.  I told him about the the trials I have faced with my present comp.  "But I am learning from it."

I am sure that my friend didn't need to read all of this; I am sure that he knew it already.  But how true it all is, and this way, no one will lead him astray.  Not that there is any chance of that happening.

One of my zone leaders told me that if we look back and work hard, the time will fly, but if we look ahead, working sort of hard, counting the days, the time will only crawl by.  If we work hard, looking back, amazed at how fast our mission is going, by the end of two years we won't want to go home.  That is a successful mission.

Well, life is great!  All smiles!  Truth will prevail.


No comments:

Post a Comment