Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Week 1: A Sock Story



What would it have looked like if I had had a missionary blog?

January 19, 1988

Dear family,

Life is great here at the MTC.  It's hard to believe I've been here a whole week.  The spirit is so strong here, and I'm learning a lot.

I got mom's letter today; I was in the cafeteria with my comp and other members of my district when our DL brought in the mail.  It was just like a sailor overseas, getting word from home.  It was exciting.

My comp and I are at the BYU Health Center checking his swollen ankles.  It seems that his socks are too tight and are cutting off circulation

My companion is a big, hefty guy from Mesa, Arizona; we get along pretty well.

Right now we are on the shuttle back to the MTC -- thank heavens!  The minute you're off the MTC campus, the spirit weakens, if it doesn't leave you altogether.

We had a gospel studies class on Sunday; the lesson was on the Book of Mormon and its origins.  It was a great meeting.  By the way, do you know why the Nephites had such big muscles? Scripture chasing with the brass plates.  Ha ha.

I'm now watching the sunset outside my window.  I've got my camera ready.

Yesterday we had a large group meeting.  We watched The First Vision and The Restoration of the Priesthood.  The spirit was so strong in that meeting, it was the greatest.  After watching the videos we had a testimony meeting.  Wow!

The sunset was great.  I got a few good shots.

It is now Wednesday, and P-day, so I can legally write this letter.

As a district we went to the Temple this morning.  A funny thing happened.  As we ere leaving the locker room for the chapel, I realized that I had left my recommend in my locker, so I went back to get it, only to find that my locker was jammed!  After about five minutes I finally managed to get my locker open, but by the time I got to the chapel, my district had gone into the session.  I had to wait ten minutes for the next session, which I went through without my comp.  Oops!

Well, that about covers it.  I miss everybody.

Love Douglas

January 20, 1988

Dear Geoff,

I am writing you and the prep class.  I got your letter today while I was doing laundry.  Yes, the time does go quick.  I'm learning a lot here so I should be able to Phi Slamma Jamma in San Jose.  It's too bad I missed float night, but you're right, I wouldn't trade places with anybody.

I guess I got lucky on companions.  My comp is a big guy from Mesa, Arizona.  He's a good guy.  Here's a funny companion story:

Yesterday we went over to the BYU Health Center.  My comp's ankles were sore and swollen.  Well, his socks were too tight and were cutting off circulation.  My comp now has to dump all his black socks, but he doesn't have any other socks to wear.

After our cultural orientation meeting last night, an elder came up to me and asked if I had noticed that my companion wasn't wearing socks.  I said yes and he asked why.  When I told him he said that he was wondering whether my comp could afford socks.  He then said that he would have been willing to help buy some socks for my comp.

On the one hand, that was really kind of cool.  I guess it goes to show just how much people care about each other here.  On the other hand, it was also kind of funny.  I couldn't stop laughing on the way back to our room.

One last thought before I close: that black name tag I wear is to me just like a naval aviator's wings of gold.  It's an honor to me that I can wear it, that I can be a missionary in the service of my heavenly father.  Just think, I can be an instrument in God's hands.  It's the greatest.

Love
Douglas

No comments:

Post a Comment