Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Wings of Gold on Navy Whites

I wrote the following in my journal at the end of my first week in the Missionary Training Center: "You know that little black tag I wear? To me it is like a Naval Aviator’s wings of gold. That tag is [are?] my wings of gold. It’s an honor to me that I can wear it, that I can be a missionary in the service of my Heavenly Father, and I wear it proudly. Just think, I can be instrument in the Lord’s hands. Wow!"

A few years earlier I had found an interest in the history of the Second World War, and perhaps the aspect that interested me the most were the aircraft carriers fighting in the Pacific Theater.  My Walter Mitty fantasies during my high school years involved me flying fighter planes off of the USS Enterprise (CV-6). I gave serious thought to joining the Navy out of high school but eventually decided that going on a mission was what the Lord wanted me to do.  In any case, the modern Navy wasn't really the same as the Navy of World War II -- also, I didn't have the eyesight to become a naval aviator anyway.

At the end of the pilot episode of the television series JAG, one of the characters says something about Wings of Gold on Navy Whites.  For a different reason, probably, I have to agree that there is something impressive about a naval aviator in dress whites.  During the warmer months in some areas missionaries shed their suit coats and put their name tags on the pocket of their white shirts.  Again, there's just something impressive about missionaries in white shirts and ties -- at least when their not wearing helmets and riding bicycles.

The greatest day(s) for a missionary is when he puts on his baptismal whites and leads an investigator down into the water.  I was five months out and in my second area when I first had the opportunity to do this.  Before the ceremony I stood with my companion and our investigator out in the parking lot and had photos taken.  White represents cleanliness.

While serving his mission in the Hawaiian Islands, Joseph F. Smith had a dream about cleanliness, which President Gordan B. Hinckley talked about during the April 2007 General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"Hawaii was not a tourist center then," said President Hinckley. "It was populated by the native Hawaiians, who were, for the most part, poor but generous with what they had. He learned to speak their language and to love them."  Then he quoted President Smith as he told about his "remarkable dream":

“I was very much oppressed [when I was] on a mission. I was almost naked and entirely friendless, except [for] the friendship of a poor, benighted … people. I felt as if I was so debased in my condition of poverty, lack of intelligence and knowledge, just a boy, that I hardly dared look a … man in the face.

“While in that condition I dreamed [one night] that I was on a journey, and I was impressed that I ought to hurry—hurry with all my might, for fear I might be too late. I rushed on my way as fast as I possibly could, and I was only conscious of having just a little bundle, a handkerchief with a small bundle wrapped in it. I did not realize … what it was, when I was hurrying as fast as I could; but finally I came to a wonderful mansion. … I thought I knew that was my destination. As I passed towards it, as fast as I could, I saw a notice [which read B-A-T-H], ‘Bath.’ I turned aside quickly and went into the bath and washed myself clean. I opened up this little bundle that I had, and there was [some] white, clean [clothing], a thing I had not seen for a long time, because the people I was with did not think very much of making things exceedingly clean. But my [clothing was] clean, and I put [it] on. Then I rushed to what appeared to be a great opening, or door. I knocked and the door opened, and the man who stood there was the Prophet Joseph Smith. He looked at me a little reprovingly, and the first words he said: ‘Joseph, you are late.’ Yet I took confidence and [replied]:

“‘Yes, but I am clean—I am clean!’

“He clasped my hand and drew me in, then closed the great door. I felt his hand just as tangible as I ever felt the hand of man. I knew him, and when I entered I saw my father, and Brigham [Young] and Heber [C. Kimball], and Willard [Richards], and other good men that I had known, standing in a row. I looked as if it were across this valley, and it seemed to be filled with a vast multitude of people, but on the stage were all the people that I had known. My mother was there, and she sat with a child in her lap; and I could name over as many as I remember of their names, who sat there, who seemed to be among the chosen, among the exalted. …

“[When I had this dream,] I was alone on a mat, away up in the mountains of Hawaii—no one was with me. But in this vision I pressed my hand up against the Prophet, and I saw a smile cross his countenance. …

“When I awoke that morning I was a man, although only [still] a boy. There was not anything in the world that I feared [after that]. I could meet any man or woman or child and look them in the face, feeling in my soul that I was a man every whit. That vision, that manifestation and witness that I enjoyed at that time has made me what I am, if I am anything that is good, or clean, or upright before the Lord, if there is anything good in me. That has helped me out in every trial and through every difficulty”

"The core of that meaningful dream," said President Hinckley, "is found in the reproof given by Joseph Smith to young Joseph F. Said the Prophet, 'Joseph, you are late.'  Replied Joseph F., 'Yes, but I am clean—I am clean!'  The result of that dream was that a boy was changed into a man. His declaration “I am clean” gave him self-assurance and courage in facing anyone or any situation."

Before departing on a mission, elders and sisters must first go through the temple and receive their Endowment.  To enter the temple they must be clean, and in the temple they wear white clothing to represent their being clean.  Elders again wear white when they lead investigators into the waters of baptism.  Missionaries must stay clean as they serve the Lord.  If missionaries stay clean they can have the self-assurance and courage to face anyone or any situation.


Source:

Hinckley, G. B. (2007) "I Am Clean". Conference Report, April 2007.  Accessed at https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2007/04/i-am-clean?lang=eng on April 16, 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment