Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"Thy Timing Be Done"

We read in Preach My Gospel that, "A testimony is a spiritual witness and assurance given by the Holy Ghost.  To bear testimony is to give a simple, direct declaration of belief -- a feeling, an assurance, a conviction of gospel truth.  Sharing your testimony often is one of the most powerful ways of inviting the Spirit and helping others feel the Spirit.  It adds a current personal witness to the truths you have taught from the scriptures.  An effective missionary teaches, testifies, and invites others to do things that build faith in Jesus Christ.  This includes making promises that come from living true principles."

Of course, before you can share your testimony, you have to have a testimony to share.  When I left on my mission I thought I had a testimony; I had read the Book of Mormon twice and had seen my faith increase, and I had felt the Spirit testifying that what I was reading was true.  But a few months into my mission I started to feel that my testimony was at best inadequate.  So one night I prayed to know if the church was true, and I have to confess that I did not have much patience.  When I did not receive an immediate answer I worried that, in fact, the church might not be true.

Elder Dalin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve has taught about the timing of inspiration from God: "We should recognize that the Lord will speak to us through the Spirit in his own time and in his own way.  Many people do not understand this principle.  They believe that when they are ready and when it suits their convenience, they can call upon the Lord and he will immediately respond, even in the precise way they have prescribed.  Revelation does not come that way."

Elder Neal A. Maxwell, who was a member of the Twelve, echoed this principle: "Since the Lord wants a people 'tried in all things' (D&C 136:31), how, specifically, will we be tried?  He tells us, I will try the faith and the patience of my people (see Mosiah 23:21).  Since faith in the timing of the Lord may be tried, let us learn to say not only, 'Thy will be done,' but patiently also, 'Thy timing be done.'"

When I worried that the church might not be true, because I had not received an immediate witness from the Spirit, I started arguing with myself.  I had wanted the church to be true, "Oh, why couldn't it be true?"  But then, "No, you know it is true?"  When the Lord, I think, was satisfied with my sincerity, I was prompted to ask again, an when I did I finally received the witness from the spirit that I had been seeking.  While it worked out for me in the end, prospective missionaries probably shouldn't follow my example.

Rather, prospective missionaries who don't have a testimony, should follow the same formula or pattern that they will ask their investigators to follow.  Prospective missionaries and investigators should follow the guidelines given by Moroni in the last chapter of the Book of Mormon:

"Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.

"And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

"And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."  (Moroni 10:3-5)

Missionaries ask their investigators to read and pray about the Book of Mormon; prospective missionaries should do the same.  With investigators, missionaries hope this process will unfold in a matter of weeks -- the time it takes to teach five discussions and for the investigator to attend church the required number of times.  For prospective missionaries it may take longer, perhaps even several months; they can expect their patience to be tried.

For prospective missionaries who may feel that they do have a testimony, they should work on strengthening that testimony.  How might they do that, by repeating the same process described above.  They should continue studying the scriptures, the discussions they will teach, resources like Preach My Gospel, True to the Faith, etc, and seek the guidance of the Spirit through prayer.  As they do this, seeking to know the will of the Lord and then doing it, their faith will increase and their testimony will be strengthened.

No comments:

Post a Comment